is there a laptop ?

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Tue Mar 10 13:53:17 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:31:41AM +0000, Saifi Khan wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Takashi Inoue wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > i've looked at tuxmobil, bsdgroup.de etc and i don't want to use
> > > ndiswrapper, or broadcom or additional PCMCIA card at all.
> > >
> > > Is there a laptop model (available in market) that experienced
> > > members would like to recommend wherein
> > >  . the WiFi 802.11 a/g (PCI based)
> > >  . Ethernet port . and ACPI
> > > work absolutely fine with FreeBSD 7.x ?
> >
> > If you want to use ACPI suspend/resume,
> > you need to kill one of two core in Core2Duo.
> > If you want the both, choose Linux insted.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > T. I.
> >

> Are you saying that ACPI implementation in FreeBSD is buggy ?
>
> Do you have any suggestions about laptops to make (assuming ACPI
> is disabled) ?

You can still use ACPI, it's just that suspend/resume might not work.

If you use ACPI then you can run powerd(8) which will prolong battery
life.

I bought a Dell XPS1330 on which everything seems to work on 7.1-R;
even the fingerprint reader can be made to work (can't remember the
port to use). I don't use powerd as I usually have the laptop plugged in.

BTW, I've got an old Thinkpad and I much prefer the Trackpoint to the
Dell's Touchpad, YMMV.

So my advice is to look at the Thinkpads. A lot of BSD users use them
& their hardware is well supported by FreeBSD, I believe.

> thanks
> Saifi.

Regards,

--