How do I determine the FreeBSD "world" revision/version?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Mar 6 23:16:20 PST 2009

Just an addition:

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 21:54:02 +0100, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013 at student.uu.se> wrote:
> No, there is no such information.  The version stored in the kernel applies
> to both kernel and userland.

This is correct for the sources which usually are updated both
(running "make update" in /usr/src).

> If you do 'mix-and-match' where different parts of your system come from
> different versions of FreeBSD you will have to keep track of this yourself.

Such differences can occur if you
	1st - make update
	2nd - build and install world and kernel
	3rd - make update again
	4th - build and install kernel only

It can as well happen if you "make install" for a certain part of
the OS (from the /usr/src tree) only.

An indication of the current version of any part of the OS or the
kernel can be obtained from the $FreeBSD$ CVS tag on a per-file
basis. But note that these don't refer to a RELEASE or STABLE
notation.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany