7.1-release and KDE4

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Mar 5 17:02:45 PST 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 18:43:42 -0600, Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould at gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought lame was one of the packages that couldn't be distributed in
> binary form due to license restrictions.

In the past, it really was. But I think it was possible to add it
via pkg_add. It's some time ago, but memory serves me right, I
did pkg_add -r lame because it was possible... if there was a way
to find out if some software has been installed via port OR package,
I could find this out. :-)

Because of the few dependencies, it's no problem to use the port
to install it first, then pkg_add -r the KDE 4 packages. Maybe
install nasm prior to make.

The Makefile of lame still states:

	RESTRICTED=     patent issues, see http://www.mp3licensing.com/

If licensing problems are still present, there may be no way to
put a precompiled package onto the FTP server.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0