Anyone know SunFire hardware

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Mar 4 14:19:51 PST 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009 01:57:21 pm Paul Schmehl wrote:
> We have FreeBSD installed on a SunFire box running two AMD Opteron
> processors. I was upgrading to 7.1 STABLE on Friday, and after
> installing the kernel I rebooted.  Now the box is completely unusable.
> Does anyone know how to get a SunFire box to boot from the CD ROM?  Any
> changes I make to the BIOS seem to be completely ignored.  When I get
> to the FreeBSD boot loader, I lose keyboard, so I can't even go to
> single user mode.  Not being able to boot off the CD is a royal pita.
>
> I've done some Googling, and the most common answer seems to be "hit
> STOP+A", but there is no STOP key on an Intel keyboard.  Is there a
> magic incantation that will work?   Maybe the entrails of a young goat?

I've been working on an X2100 recently. Unfortunately it is running Linux
but I was able to boot from both a FreeBSD CD (in an external USB CD
drive) and a USB stick without issue. Keyboard was USB as well.

F2 should take you to the BIOS setup screen, make sure you save your
changes before exiting.. pretty standard AWARD-type BIOS. There's one
screen where you can set the boot order between cdrom, hard drive, etc.
and another submenu where you can set the hard drive boot priority.

HTH,

JN