bsd.rd for FreeBSD install

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Mar 2 10:33:30 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:02:25AM -0800, new_guy wrote:

> You misunderstand. I want to install FreeBSD from a ramdisk image (bsd.rd).

That is called  md  (memory disk) in FreeBSD land.

> Is that possible? It's basically a small kernel that boots the machine,
> formats the hard drive, setups root and installs the operating system over
> ftp.

That is what sysinstall is, plus the boot.   It is a program that
builds the filesystems, sets up the system and loads everything on
the disk.    The big problem is how to boot and bring it up without
any external media.   I think some people have done it from network
and second Hard drive boots as well as floppy and CD boots.

////jerry