rc.conf and starting scripts

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Mar 1 20:41:13 PST 2009

Allow me an addition:

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 03:53:24 +0000, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d is the default for local scripts, that's where
> package put their scripts, but there are some rules.
>
> - they should either be proper RCNG scripts or they should end in a .sh
>   extension

I'm not sure if this is valid anymore, but I think it's also
neccessary that a *.sh script is chmod +x, or it won't be
executed at startup. These scripts are located in /usr/local/etc.

The rc-style scripts ("foo { start | stop | restart | status }")
are located in the rc.d/ subdirectory, just like in /etc. They
usually have a corresponging enable setting ("foo_enable") in
/etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.local (see "man rc.conf"), as well
as means to set parameters ("foo_flags" or something specific).

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0