Root shell

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sun Mar 1 10:54:26 PST 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 03:50:29PM +0100, Sniper wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I heard that changing root shell to bash is not good idea, also programing
> in any C shell not applicable. So which shell is the most appropriate for
> root user ?

You can get your tail in a crack if you boot to single user or another
file system like /usr  is not available.    /bin/csh   (which on FreeBSD
is the same as tcsh)  is always available and a few things are written
so they expect it.

So, leave root alone.
If you must lower yourself to bash, make another account and set its
shell to bash.   You can even make an alternate root and make it bash
if you really must work in root.   USe vipw  and copy the toor line
in the passwd file and change the name to something you like and the shell
to bash and the home directory to /root/whatever.
Then set the password for this account
As root do:
  passwd whatever

follow prompts.

You must put the id name on the passwd command or it will change root instead.

I am not necessarily recommending all this, but it is better tham
changing the actual root account's shell.

////jerry