badblocks on sata drive

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Sun Mar 1 10:23:56 PST 2009

> during dd tests i encounter hardware problems with my harddisk. is there
> a way to mark parts of the hdd as "bad" so those are not used anymore?
not much.

you may label it the way it will skip that part.

anyway - sata/IDE drives has in-hardware bad block remapping. if you see
bad blocks there is already out of space for remapping.

OR - just something was recorded badly some time ago.

clear whole drive with zeros and then retest. there is high change problem
will go out.

if not - don't use that drive for anything valuable at all