freebsd-update patch not being applied

James james at slohall.com
Sun Mar 1 09:20:13 PST 2009


For some reason when i type uname -a on my desktop, which is running 7.1, all I see is this:

	$ uname -a
	FreeBSD me 7.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan  1 08:58:24 UTC 2009     root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

But if i run freebsd-update fetch i get this

	$ sudo freebsd-update fetch
	Password:
	Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
	Fetching metadata signature for 7.1-RELEASE from update2.FreeBSD.org... done.
	Fetching metadata index... done.
	Inspecting system... done.
	Preparing to download files... done.

	No updates needed to update system to 7.1-RELEASE-p3.

Everytime the application has said there are new updates i installed them with `freebsd-update install`,
and eventually i got around to restarting, but when I log back in and type `uname -a` I get the same message
as above: `7.1-RELEASE #0`

Now on a seperate system running 7.0 I have a similar problem where uname -a always reports `7.0-RELEASE-p7 #0`
even though freebsd-update reports
	Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
	Fetching metadata signature for 7.0-RELEASE from update2.FreeBSD.org... done.
	Fetching metadata index... done.
	Inspecting system... done.
	Preparing to download files... done.

	No updates needed to update system to 7.0-RELEASE-p10.

Now I'm new to the BSD world, but i do have a fair amount of experience with Linux. What I am trying to figure
out here, is why uname -a reports a different patch number than it should.

Thanks
James

-- 
James <james at slohall.com>


More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list