serial modem

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jun 30 06:17:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:13:31 -0400, kalin m <kalin at el.net> wrote:
> yes the entry was wrong...   changed it. when i try to use tip i get
> device busy. when i use cu it says connected but nothing else happens
> and i don't see any prompts. it's like frozen. i can't type any AT
> commands... nothing. i changed the baud rate around. all the way down to
> 9600. so now the same thing happens with tip. if used tip says connected
> but i can not issue any commands...

You could try to leave it to ppp, just for testing purposes.
Everything you need is a number you can dial. Here's an
example for an /etc/ppp/ppp.conf that would do something
like this:

# --- ppp.conf -----------------------------------------------
default:
        set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
        ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
        set device /dev/cuad0
        set speed 115200
        set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
        set timeout 120
        enable dns
papchap:
        set phone PHONE_NUM
        set authname USERNAME
        set authkey PASSWORD
        add default HISADDR
test:
        set phone 0123456789
        set authname QWERTZ
        set authkey ASDFGH
        add default HISADDR
# --- ppp.conf ----------------------------------------------- end ---

With such a file, you can now:

	# ppp test
	ppp> dial
	*click dit dit dit dit... dooooo doooooo... *
	PPP> close
	*click*
	ppp>
	#

In this case, you have confirmed that the serial modem works as
intended. You can of course enter real data for an ISP that offers
modem dial-in to get online. :-)

You can find more help and examples in "man ppp".

> the modem has 2 leds. one yellow and one green. according to the manual
> the yellow should be blinking as follows:
>
> Fast Blinking (0.5 sec on/0.5 sec off)  Net search/ Not
> registered/Turning Off
> Slow Blinking (0.3 sec on/ 2.7 sec off)  Registered, Full Service
>
> i think i'm only seeing 'Fast Blinking'.....  i wonder what 'Net search'
> really means and where it's searching for it. it's connected through a
> RS-232 to the serial port...
>
> ?!?

But it IS a modem to dial tones and connect to something?
"Net search"... no idea what that could mean. Serial modems usually
don't search for nets...

Or am I completely misunderstanding you and you're trying to find a
command access to a DSL modem that has a serial line?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0