configuring and ssh tunneling xorg from a headless FreeBSD machine

Erich Dollansky erich at apsara.com.sg
Tue Jun 30 03:13:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

On 30 June 2009 am 08:57:23 Dan Naumov wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I have the following setup: a Windows Vista x64 SP1 machine (my
> primary desktop) and a FreeBSD 7.2/amd64 running on a home NAS
> system that's relatively powerful (Intel Atom 330 dualcore, 2gb
> ram). I would like to be able to run xorg and a simple desktop
> on the headless FreeBSD NAS and be able to interact with it
> from my Vista machine. What are the steps I need to take for
> this? Obviously I need to build xorg and some sort of a wm

install cygwin on the Windows machine and then use its telnet or
ssh to connect to your FreeBSD machine.

> (probably gnome2-lite) on the FreeBSD machine and install an
> xserver on the Vista machine, but then what? Any pointers to
> guides and such are welcome.

All you need on the FreeBSD machine is an installed X and telnet
or better ssh enabled.

It is your choice where you run the WM. It can run on the Windows
machine - which gives a better response - or the FreeBSD machine.

Start small with telnet and plain X on FreeBSD enabled and cygwin
with X. X can display then your windows directly as Windows
windows.

Erich