Which latex should I install

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 27 07:06:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 01:14:55AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:32:31 -0400, Daniel Underwood <djuatdelta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hopefully Polytropon will chime in on this, but I had to install
> > TeXLive for everything to work.
>
> Ere I am, J. H., the ghost in the machine. :-)
>
> I've never tried TeXLive, I have to admit, because I NEVER had ANY
> problem using the teTeX package. And yes, I don't build it from
> source because pkg_add -r is so much comfortable.

TeXLive now has FreeBSD binary packages (i386 & amd64) as well.

> > Suggestion: try teTeX.  If you encounter problems, then install TeXLive.
>
> It would be nice to hear what - in such a case - has been the
> problem with teTeX that TeXLive then solved. As I said, I never
> found myself in such a situation, and I'm using LaTeX for
> nearly everything.

There are a lot of things that TeXLive has that teTeX doesn't;

- latin modern fonts [http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern]
- tex gyre fonts [http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/]

Both of these font families have a much greater range of diacretical
markers available. And they look very good. Latin Modern is an expanded
and improved version of Computer Modern. Both families are written as
OpenType fonts.

- XeTeX [http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex]

Better support for typesetting in non-european languages.

- LuaTeX [http://www.luatex.org/]

Integration of the Lua scripting language into TeX. This will make TeX
more powerfull, and the writing of macro packages easier.

- conTeXt [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConTeXt]

- more recent releases, with updated macro packages.
- more macro packages available and integrated.

Roland