torrents.freebsd.org

Chris Cowart ccowart at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 26 18:04:49 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm currently trying to setup a bittorrent tracker to distribute files,
such as patches, to users when they're stuck behind our captive portal.
My experience over the last several weeks is that the software is flaky,
the documentation is poor, and no projects are being actively maintained
(or at least, projects in the FreeBSD ports tree).

I'm getting the feeling that you need to be a member of an elite,
invitation-only group that performs heavy customizations every time a
tracker is installed.

I found net-p2p/bnbt and I thought it was the way to go. I somehow
managed to get it setup in the dev environment, load some torrents to be
tracked, and away we went. When I tried to reproduce this success in our
testing environment, I failed miserably. I can no longer figure out what
I did to get bnbt to load the torrents (apparently it was more
complicated than just dropping them off in the allowed_dir). I
discovered from a ktrace that bnbt is indeed scanning my allowed_dir on
startup and periodically after that, but it won't list the torrents in
the web interface, and it tells clients "requested download is not
authorized for use with this tracker".

I'm hoping to find somebody who's successfully running bnbt for some
pointers. If nothing else, I'd love to get in touch with the operators
of torrents.freebsd.org to find out what they're doing.

Thanks for any help,

--
Chris Cowart
Network Technical Lead