The question of moving vi to /bin

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 26 01:07:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:24:13 +0800, Erich Dollansky <erich at apsara.com.sg> wrote:
> To be honest, I never have had a problem with /usr since disks are
> large enough to have all on only one.

Mostly, partitioning according to directory structures has nothing
to do with disk space, but with intention. There are many many
arguments pro and contra partitioning. It's a matter of intention.

> > > It would be even better to have an editor like joe in /bin
> > > than anything like vi.
> >
> > Certainly.
> >
> Ok, then let us support joe.

Or the Midnight Commander's editor, mcedit. :-)

The good thing about vi - yes, there is such a thing - is the
fact that it even works completely under the weirdest
circumstances, e. g. if you are on a terminal line that does
not have cursor keys or function keys, then you can still
use the full power of vi, as long as you know how to master
it, but that's true for anything in the UNIX world.

> But isn't there emacs in the ports too?

Sure, let's take emacs into the OS, as well as any other editor
one could imagine. And because most people like graphical
applications, let's include OpenOffice for editing configuration
files in maintenance mode. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany