The question of moving vi to /bin

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Wed Jun 24 23:34:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:13:49 -0700
"b. f." <bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> ??? Who is giving them that credit?  This isn't new.  You already have
> some control over swapping via several oids:
>
> vm.swap_enabled
> vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts
> vm.defer_swapspace_pageouts
> vm.swap_idle_enabled
> vm.swap_idle_threshold1
> vm.swap_idle_threshold2
> etc.
>
> See, for example, tuning(7).  These have been around for ages (well,
> at least since June 1996).  You can also build your kernel with:
>
> options NO_SWAPPING
>
> which takes precedence over these settings.  That option has been
> around even longer. Linux has corresponding features, although they
> didn't always work well on older kernels.

It looks like the best explanation of NO_SWAPPING is
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1067315+0+archive/2003/freebsd-current/20030413.freebsd-current

I found it after attempting to trim a powerpc kernel to see just how
much I could leave out - it looks like it's not possible to leave out
support for swapping.

--
Bruce Cran