7.2 system stuck trying at boot, trying to mount root device

Forrest Aldrich forrie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:37:13 UTC 2009

I'm running a modest PC that has FreeBSD-7.2 installed (fairly current
build from CVS).

Today, I did a "shutdown -r" to reboot the system.   When it returned,
the console is reporting:

"Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a"

I've gone through and restored the boot loader, this works fine (it's
back to F1 or F2) -- it continues to do this.

I also did a proper mount, fsck, and umount under the LiveFS shell,
which made no difference.

Then I tried a modest binary "upgrade" just in case.  No luck.

After Googling around, and not finding much more info than what I did, I
figured I would ask here.   If I have to, I can ship off the data to
another system (after I rebuild) and try to bring all it's functions
back (but it's a lot, cyrus, etc).

The other messages I see on the console include GEOM output:

GEOM_LABEL:  Label for provider ad4s1a is ufsid/blahblah

then

GEOM_LABEL: Label for ufsid/blahblah removed.

Anyone know how I can rescue this?

Thanks.