The question of moving vi to /bin

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Wed Jun 24 14:08:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 06:13:49AM -0700, b. f. wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 June 2009 15:41:48 Manish Jain wrote:
>
> >About ed first. I might annoy a few people (which would gladden me in
> >this particular case), but ed was just one of Ken Thompson's nightmares
> >which he managed to reproduce in Unix with great precision. By no
> >stretch of imagination would it qualify as an editor, because an editor
> >can meaningfully edit only what it can first show. And ed has never had
> >anything to show. A modern operating system like FreeBSD should really
> >be kicking ed out of the distribution completely : bad ideas don't have
> >to be necessarily perpetuated just for the sake of compliance with the
> >original concept of Unix.
>
> If you want to make a case for replacing ed(1), you're going to have
> to come up with some concrete reasons for doing so, not just make a
> (long and hyperbolic) statement that you don't like it.

Please don't touch/remove ed(1)!

  * It's still very useful on non-curses/termcap capable terminals
    like raw serial lines etc.

  * It's also very useful in batch/script mode, as there are some
    multi-line text processing problems that you can't tackle with
    sed(1) alone, and where awk(1) or even perl, python etc.. are
    overkill.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/