upgrading installed ports: time to do it ?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 00:50:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:21:21 +0100
Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com> wrote:

> RW wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:58:41 +0100
> > Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'll probably get flamed for this but since I've been using
> >> ports-mgmt/portmanager I've almost forgotten
> >> about /usr/ports/UPDATING and all that pkgdb -Fu stuff or whatever
> >> it was. I've upgraded ports just by doing 'portmanager -u' over
> >> one or two quite major changes and not had any problems that
> >> haven't been down to an individual ports.
> >
> > You still need to read UPDATING, portmanager handles some of the
> > issues automatically, but not all.
>
> Not trolling but can you give me some examples?

Many of of the entries aren't solely to do with guiding
portmaster/portupgrade through the upgrade, they may also involve
migrating configuration or user data, or performing other
administrative tasks.

Portmanger does cope with most of the "portupgrade -o"  and
"portupgrade -r" entries, although sometime it will need to be run (or
rerun) in pristine-mode.

However, it doesn't always work correctly when software has been
repackaged because this can create temporary unrecorded conflicts
which are difficult for any tool to deal with. If you see any
instructions to remove packages before upgrading, it's prudent to follow
them.