No sound, no mouse and now X applications won't start

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 23 17:54:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:11:48PM +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have solved most of the problems listed in my previous message with
> help from Roland Smith.
>
> The fact still remains that FreeBSD-7.2 has some definite problems on
> AMD hardware :
>
> 1) On multi-core systems, the cores don't get initialized properly and
> you get messages like : "AP #1 (PHY# 1) failed !" followed by panic. The
> solution is to reboot, maybe as many as 6-7 times.

Can you run the mptable command as root and post the output?

> 2) The uhub/ums module fails to load and /dev/ums0 consequently won't
> get created. The workaround is to unplug your USB mouse just before the
> boot process begins, and plug it back in once you get the console.

Since the USB stack has been replaced in 8-CURRENT, I'm not sure if many
developers will want to spend time on this...

> I have googled for the above 2 problems and there seem to many folks
> suffering from the ills, with no solution except the ones I have listed
> above. And these problems almost always occur on AMD multi-core systems.

Most posts about the "AP #1 (PHY# 1) failed !" message that I found are
several years old.

> I hope the next release will address these problems, as well as a pretty
> reasonable request from me much earlier to move vi from /usr/bin to
> /bin. Even in single-user mode, you almost always need an editor.

There is always /rescue/vi. And in single-user mode, you can always
mount /usr if it is on a separate partition.

Roland