~/.ssh directory permissions

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Jun 23 14:15:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:06:03AM -0400, Daniel Underwood wrote:

> Looking at my ~/.ssh directory, I see the following permissions:
>
> -rw-r--r--
>
> Which I understand to be equivalent to 644.
>
> I read here <http://sial.org/howto/openssh/publickey-auth/> that
> ~/.ssh ought to have permissions 700.
>
> Which is preferable, and why?

Well, generically, 700 allows you to do anything you want with
the file as owner, but no other id (except root) can touch it in
any way - not even look at it.   I don't really know if it would
hurt to allow others to read it or not, but in the philosophy of
if access is not needed, then don't provide it, I would make it
limited to 700.

I just looked at mine and it is set to 700.

////jerry