No sound, no mouse and now X applications won't start

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 13:41:57 UTC 2009

> Message: 11
> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:34:00 -0400
> From: Jerry <gesbbb at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: No sound, no mouse and now X applications won't start
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:31:45 +0530
> Manish Jain <invalid.pointer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looks like nobody at freebsd-questions has any answers for me. Maybe
>> 7.2-x86 doesn't like newish amd hardware.
>
> post the output of: pciconf -lv as well as dmesg. Also your rc.conf and
> PolicyKit.conf files might be useful.
>
> --
> Jerry
> gesbbb at yahoo.com

Hi,

I have solved most of the problems listed in my previous message with
help from Roland Smith.

The fact still remains that FreeBSD-7.2 has some definite problems on
AMD hardware :

1) On multi-core systems, the cores don't get initialized properly and
you get messages like : "AP #1 (PHY# 1) failed !" followed by panic. The
solution is to reboot, maybe as many as 6-7 times.

2) The uhub/ums module fails to load and /dev/ums0 consequently won't
get created. The workaround is to unplug your USB mouse just before the
boot process begins, and plug it back in once you get the console.

I have googled for the above 2 problems and there seem to many folks
suffering from the ills, with no solution except the ones I have listed
above. And these problems almost always occur on AMD multi-core systems.

I hope the next release will address these problems, as well as a pretty
reasonable request from me much earlier to move vi from /usr/bin to
/bin. Even in single-user mode, you almost always need an editor.

--
Regards
Manish Jain
invalid.pointer at gmail.com
+91-96500-10329

Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.