upgrading installed ports: time to do it ?

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Mon Jun 22 19:58:53 UTC 2009

Chris Rees wrote:
> 2009/6/21 danny <meslists at yahoo.fr>:
>> Hi list members ,
>>
>> I frequently update the contents of the ports tree but I have never upgraded
>> any port. I am studying the way to do it, by following the handbook and an
>> article on The FreeBSD Diary about the use of portupgrade.
>> At the moment I am focuing the attention to the '/usr/ports/UPDATING' file.
>> The question that arose is the following: is there any automated way to check
>> if any of the port to be upgraded has specific upgrading notes written in
>> that file ?
>> Do you prefer doing a mass or selective upgrade ?
>>
>> Thanks !
>>
>> dan

I'll probably get flamed for this but since I've been using
ports-mgmt/portmanager I've almost forgotten about /usr/ports/UPDATING
and all that pkgdb -Fu stuff or whatever it was. I've upgraded ports
just by doing 'portmanager -u' over one or two quite major changes and
not had any problems that haven't been down to an individual ports.

I've never seen any reasons given for not using portmanager, just it
seems to be getting quietly deprecated, which is a shame because it
works supremely well.

Having said that why not check out http://freebsd-custom.wikidot.com/,
the new binary ports upgrade system and save yourself a bunch of compile
time.

Chris