questions on the "ASUS Eee Pc 1000 40G"

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Jun 22 15:45:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 07:26:59AM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Sunday, June 21, 2009 a las 05:35:14PM -0700, Gary Kline escribió:
>
> > 	i found two at newegg.com.  both are the "Eee PC"; both come with
> > 	linux.  this one is the subject line seems to come with 40G of
> > 	flash/solid state memory.  Is this even possible for $400 given
> > 	current technology?
> >
> > 	is there any FBSD version available? since it has an rj-45 lan
> > 	jack, i will be able to download the text-to-speech software i'll
> > 	need.
> >
> > 	any feedback? suggestions for fbsd-capable subnotebooks, etc??
> >
> > 	gary
>
> You might want to check this page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee
>
> I run 8-CURRENT on an EeePC 900 (with 20 GByte SSD);

	i have that page open [in another room].  all the asus Eee's
	look nice, but i'd like more meaty info on these computers.
	since you're already running 8 on the 900, maybe you can clue
	me in.  what's the speed of your Atom CPU?  CAn you run anything
	X--(X Window System)?  also, how far can you go before you max
	out your computer?  RAM, SSD?  I only want todemo that a freebsd
	computer w/ keyboard can be used with the KDE accessibility
	apps.  tts primarily.  something i could use with the festival
	speech tools.

	i almost choked when i saw the windows touchscreen [heavy]
	device for 8000-9000 dollars!   i thought, ...er, um, will
	the electrons would melt if i told my thoughts!  in civil
	language, it blew me away.  given all the brilliant, open-source
	stuff plus reasonably-sized (and *affordable*) hardware, it
	seems like i should be able to cobble something together at my
	non-profit paradigm for MUCH less than 8K

	thanks!

	gary

       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php
    The 4.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php