upgrading installed ports: time to do it ?

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Mon Jun 22 08:24:25 UTC 2009

On Sunday 21 June 2009 10:38:39 danny wrote:

> At the moment I am focuing the attention to the '/usr/ports/UPDATING' file.
> The question that arose is the following: is there any automated way to
> check if any of the port to be upgraded has specific upgrading notes
> written in that file ?

/usr/sbin/pkg_updating, but it's flaky since /usr/ports/UPDATING is human
written. It's a school example of a file that should really be XML: human
readable/writeable and machine parseable, but it's not. So we end up with
entries like:
  AFFECTS: users of Japanese and Chinese fonts
  AFFECTS: users of linux Fedora 8 infrastructure ports
  AFFECTS: users of Tcl/Tk

which cannot ever be translated to ports by a machine.
--
Mel