Small notebook platforms. [was: Re: self-serving redeux/revisited, and more questions?]

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Jun 21 21:55:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:16:40PM +0100, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:42:00PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >>On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:18:55AM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> >
> There's a wiki devoted to FreeBSD on Asus eee
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee
>
> last edited 2009-05-31

	outstanding; i'm looking at the top-of-page rt now:)

> I personally think Asus desktop motherboards are going downhill, based
> on my very small sample of two old ones going strong and one recent one
> defunct, plus that funny marketing smell that creeps in - "Rock Solid,
> Heart Touching" geez.

	my asus days date pre-2000 when there was a builtin asus-SCSI
	controller.  and at the time anything scsi was a must.

	marketing folks rate somewhere _beneath_ used-car salesmen, IMHO.
	there is some saying about needs vs wants, and it's the marketing
	guys who get us to need <<whatever>>.   .....

> On the other hand the guys in the component level
> laptop repair shop I had to take my HP laptop to recently, told me they
> get fewer Asus laptops in for repair than anything, even thinkpads.
> (They get mostly HP :-< )

	ouch!  i've got two critical hp kayaks from 1998.  been praying
	to the hp-gods:)  ---well, until i can get a real live human nerd
	over here to help me replace them.

       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php
    The 4.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php