startx does not work, startxfce4 does!

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Wed Jun 17 16:27:48 UTC 2009

On a newly installed 7.2-RELEASE system with all ports upgraded and
cvsup'ed I have a problem.

Both root and user has

.xsession linked to .xinitrc

and contains

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4

If I execute startx as root TWM is started!

If I execute startxfce4 as root XFCE4 is started

If I execute startx as user I get a black screen that after some minutes
returns to the prompt.

If I execute startxfce4 as user XFCE4 is started

I've checked the rights on startx and startxfce4 plus .xsession and
.xinitrc and they are the same as I have on another 7.2 system that works.

I could need some help to find the problem.

Thanks

Leslie