pf vs null route

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Mon Jun 15 21:57:52 UTC 2009

Well, that's more "black holing" than null routing, but regardless,
routing will always be "faster"  / less cpu intensive than L4+
filtering.  Unless  of course the rules are compiled and executed in an
Asic like Ci$co does.  Anyway, whether or not the processing latency is
noticeable to the users only time will tell.

This is a never ending battle.  Force your users to make stronger
passwords and implement an automated password recovery process for them.
Your webserver SHOULD be able to blacklist IP's that do bad things
automatically as well.

If you have another "good" solution let me know.  With all the spoofing,
bots, etc. - it's VERY difficult to block access without causing
problems for legitimate users.

One thing pf would allow is a sort of "tar pit"  / rate limiting vs.
100% block like a black-hole.  This way if you accidentally trigger an
"enforce" action on a legit user, the'll just run slow for a little
while instead of being blocked entirely.