Cannot login as root, exited on signal 11

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Jun 15 17:33:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 08:09:10AM -0700, Unga wrote:

> [...]

You can if you want, but you may have to make sure it is in root's
path.   That becomes an issue if you are booted to single user for
any reason.  Some of those reasons may also make /usr unavailable
at that time.

Also, although most system scripts should explicitly name their shell
interpreter at the beginning, it is possible some scripts somewhere
do not and make an assumption that is it sh or csh.  That is more
likely if you have something non-base installed.

I haven't followed the thread, but is it possible that you are
coming up against root not being allowed to log in from a remote
location that is the default in FreeBSD?   You normally have to
log in on a non-root account and then su(1) to be root.  Or you
have to change some configuration to allow root to remote log in
(not advised!).

////jerry