ISP questions

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Jun 10 21:35:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 06:33:05AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 17:13:47 -0600
> Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> >If 0.111% of customers are unfortunate enough to end up with something
> >entirely beyond their control causing something to happen that can be
> >imagined to be a violation of GoDaddy's partially undisclosed policies,
> >and 0.1% of GoDaddy customers end up getting their domain names held
> >hostage to the tune of several hundred dollars as a result of those
> >incidents entirely beyond their control, that means that about 90% of
> >people GoDaddy has any way of exploiting, extorting, or otherwise
> >screwing over in a manner defensible in court are getting exactly that
> >treatment.
> >
> >(Note that I'm making up numbers here, just like you.)
> >
> >So . . . you're basically gambling that you'll never be the victim of
> >circumstances that would allow GoDaddy to figure it can get away with
> >screwing you over.  I prefer to gamble on other things.  Your mileage
> >may vary.
>
> I am not going to debate.
>
> 1) Your math doesn't even begin to compute - as you stated.

How do you figure?

Try http://nodaddy.com for examples.

> Every time you get in a car, you risk your life. Does that mean you
> should live in a bubble? If you have documented proof of your
> statements, I would love to see them. If not, you sound like someone
> who screwed up, got burned and like is now the norm in our society,
> refusing to take responsibility for it; preferring to place the blame on
> someone or something else.

I haven't been burned by GoDaddy.  As you might have surmised from
previous statements (if you were paying enough attention), I have chosen
to learn from others' mistakes in the case of GoDaddy rather than
obstinately insisting on making such a mistake for myself.  Thanks for
degrading the apparent rigor of your own arguments by descending into ad
hominem fallacy, though, assuming I've done something I haven't so you
can blame me, the hypothetical victim, for what has(n't actually) been
done to me.

The only way I remember having been "burned" by my choice of registrar,
and thus having to learn from my own mistake, was the case of using a
single provider for both domain registration and Webhosting.  I learned
from that experience that if a single provider handles both domain
registration and Webhosting for that domain, it makes it really easy for
that provider to screw the user by making it as difficult as possible to
move one or the other service to a different provider, thus costing more
money over a longer period while giving crappy service -- essentially
creating an artificial lock-in situation from which it may be difficult
to extricate oneself.  I didn't have that particular problem with
GoDaddy, but I certainly wouldn't put it past that company.

> If you don't like GoDaddy, that is your prerogative. However,
> slandering them with undocumented statements is rather low. As I said,
> I have not had a problem with them in the seven years I have used their
> services. Obviously, that does not coincide with your statements.

You didn't ask for documentation, and that's not the direction the
discussion was going.  I provided a URL so you can see some corroborating
documentation of real-world incidents above, though, now that you've
specifically brought up the point of such evidence.

The fact you, yourself have not had a problem, may well be a matter of
nothing but luck.  In fact, I'm sure most GoDaddy customers haven't had a
problem.  That's sorta the point, though -- as long as the incidence of
problems is kept below a particular threshold, GoDaddy is free to screw
over that small percentage of exceptions with relative impunity, unless
those who know about such incidents try to get the word out to help other
would-be customers protect themselves.  It's not like I have a selfish
aim in suggesting one use a different registrar; I don't run, or work
for, or otherwise have a relationship with, a competing company (other
than being another company's customer, of course).

> Out of morbid curiosity, who are you presently using? I am willing to
> bet that I can find someone with a horror story to tell about them
> also. Would it be accurate; you tell me?

I'm using pairNIC.  If you find such horror stories, please let me know,
and I'll investigate them to determine whether I consider them credible
and suggestive of the likelihood that the same thing could happen to me.
Some horror stories are suggestive of bad policy to which I don't want to
submit myself; others are merely suggestive of a fluke, or exaggeration.

The fact is that the GoDaddy horror stories I've seen have, in some
cases, actually been thoroughly documented not only by the parties
involved (on both sides, in fact), but by the news media as well, and
they're very suggestive of policies that can lead to terrible abuses of
customers in the future.  Meanwhile, pairNIC doesn't have a hundreds of
dollars ransom policy, so in that regard at least I know I'm in better
shape than I would be with GoDaddy.

Quoth H. L. Mencken: "Democracy is the theory that the common people
know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."