AFP Client in FreeBSD

Peter Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Wed Jun 10 20:34:29 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, June 10, 2009, at 09:45AM, "Chris Maness" <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:
>Is there an AFP client for FreeBSD?  I have a mac with a gargantuan
>hard drive, and I would like to back up my FreeBSD server to it, and
>back up my mac to my FreeBSD server.  I have seen where FreeBSD can be
>an AFP server, but there is little information on the client.  Any
>suggestions?

I regularly backup my FreeBSD boxes using dump and ssh to a very
large hard drive on my mac.  Here is how I do it:

- Turn on SSH access on the mac (I believe in OSX.5 it is called
"Remote Login")
- Setup PubkeyAuthentication:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/openssh.html
(Section 14.11.6 - works the same on Mac and FreeBSD)