Open_Source

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Jun 6 05:47:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 12:36:14PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 June 2009 10:59:51 am Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>
> > I would add - with Open Source add it's far smaller (actually close to
> > zero) probability that it doesn't do anything except it's supposed to do.
> >
> > I mean things like sending private data to someone else, scanning for
> > other programs i have on disk, my addressbook etc.
>
> I agree completely.  I'd never voluntarily trust my personal information to a
> system that I (or other interested parties on my behalf) couldn't audit.

I agree as well:

    Why encryption that doesn't trust the user isn't trustworthy
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=362

The article is particular to encryption, of course, but the same
priniciples are easily generalized to other software types.

Quoth Edward Murphy, Jr. (Murphy's Law): "If there's more than one way
to do a job and one of those ways will end in disaster, then someone
will do it that way."