Opinion request about a file server

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Jun 6 00:03:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 01:31:16AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > Not counting the CPU and its power circuitry, I would be very suprised if
> > the other components on a normal motherboard pulled as much as half of that
> > even when under load.
> >
> > In fact a typical modern desktop computer will, when idle, draw less than
> > 100W for the whole system.  It is not even difficult to put together a
> > system that will stay under 100W even when under load.
> >
> but power supplies are not really efficient when used at small load.
> maybe some newer are better...

It is true that most PSUs have their highest efficiency at about half their
maximum load and that this efficiency tends to drop very noticeably at very
low loads.  The efficency of high-quality PSUs has improved quite a bit over
the last couple of years though, to the extent that a modern high-quality
PSU running at a low load will still have higher efficiency than an ordinary
5-year old PSU had at its best.

Be that as it may, when I was talking about the power draw of the whole
system, I meant the whole system, including PSU, so any power losses in the
PSU are included in the 100W mentioned.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson