Opinion request about a file server

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Jun 5 23:22:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 12:43:23AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > Much less than a Pentium 4! Exactly I don't know. This server is a
> > normal PC with a 380W PSU (still too much for the hardware). The funny
> > thing is that the CPU in it (Pentium Dual Core E5200 45nm) is supposed
> > to draw under 4W of power when idle with EIST enabled. This power draw
>
> unless CPU are constantly loaded it takes minor part of power. maybe your
> CPU takes 4W, but other chips on motherboard takes MUCH more.

A bit more perphaps, but not MUCH more. The main chipset itself will almost
certainly not draw more than 20-25W when working.  Less when idle.
(If it is a chipset with integrated graphics you can add a few watts to
that, but probably not much more than that.)
Modern RAM-memory will draw perhaps 1-3W per DIMM, depending on size and
technology.
The remaing chips does not draw much. (After all they don't generate enough
heat to require heatsinks.)

The only really power hungry component in a modern system apart from the CPU
is the graphic card - and that only when using the more high-end models.

> it would be good to measure it with electricity meter :) i bet close to
> 100W

Not counting the CPU and its power circuitry, I would be very suprised if
the other components on a normal motherboard pulled as much as half of that
even when under load.

In fact a typical modern desktop computer will, when idle, draw less than
100W for the whole system.  It is not even difficult to put together a
system that will stay under 100W even when under load.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se