Open_Source

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jun 5 23:11:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 08:20:24PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >Slight tangent, and you may have mentioned it before: What window manager
> >do you use?
>
> fvwm2, BUT not because i like it's tools and widgets, but because all of
> them can be easily turned off :)
>
> My configuration strips everything possible including window titles and
> borders, window moving and resizing are done with mouse+keyboard
> combinations, menu shows on keypress and i use it's "virtual desktop"
> function to switch between 24 of them using ALT-F* and CTRL-F*. ALT-X
> start xterm full screen so xterm "window" looks like text console, with
> the exception that i can run X program directly.
>
> I can post my config if you wish, it's <1700 bytes.

No need.  It sounds like my setup is even more minimal, and I'm happy
with it.  I was just curious.

> >>Unfortunately there are no well done WWW browsers for unix in the world.
> >>links -g is an exceptions, but in the same time it's quite limited.
> >>But have best fonts :)
> >
> >The links browser's interface is crap, as is that of every other text
>
> why?

That was explained in the stuff you cut out.

> >console based browser I've ever encountered.  Moving around within a
>
> moving works well.

It works in a slow, tedious fashion, without much fine-grained control.

Quoth Jon Postel, RFC 761: "[B]e conservative in what you do, be liberal
in what you accept from others."