ISP questions

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 17:47:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 13:10:17 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

>> 4. What kind of hardware and software are you running?
>>     "Can't provide this, due to security reasons."
>
>That's the stupidest answer I've heard today.

Actually, I had a Comcast representative give basically the same
answer. Evidently, they are trying to discourage 'social engineering''
which is probably not such a bad idea.

>> 7. Do you give complete access to the Internet, or do you block some
>> ports? "Cannot provide this info, due to security reasons."  After
>> asking, I was told that I would be able to run a mail server and http
>> server on my connection.
>
>That's the stupidest answer I've heard today (just trumped the previous
>one).

If they can run a mail & http server, they are obviously not blocking
ports 25 & 80. I would like to know how they are handling MX setting
though.

>> 8. Do you have complete reverse DNS?
>>     (They didn't know.)
>
>Heh.  Can they find the bathroom in the dark?

Now the rep should know that, especially if the caller is inquiring
about a business account.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Why do so many foods come packaged in plastic?
It's quite uncanny.