Set task priority

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Wed Jun 3 09:36:13 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 03 June 2009 01:05:13 Steve Bertrand wrote:

> What is the best way to set priority on my task in order to ensure it
> completes as quickly as possible, but does not cause a situation where
> other programs and their children can't respond?

You may want to consider the fact that priority has nothing to do with the
outage symptom.
If your other services use MySQL, they will time out because mysqldump will
exclusively lock the tables your services are trying to query and/or update.
The best way to do this if you need the feature more then once is to setup a
slave replicator that isn't queried by the services at all and then you do
your dumps on that machine. Replication will catch up after the dump. If you
have enough hard disk space, can even do this on your laptop.
--
Mel