named: error sending response: not enough free resources

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 01:06:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Wojciech Puchar <
wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

>  lot of searching and have found others with similar problems, but no
>> solutions.
>>
>>  named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>  enough free resources
>>  named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>  enough free resources
>>  named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>  enough free resources
>>  named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>  enough free resources
>>  named[69750]: client *ip removed*: error sending response: not
>>  enough free resources
>>

> quite misleading message, but the problem is that named want to send UDP
> packet and get's error from kernel.
>

> possible reasons
> - your firewall rules are the cause - check it.

Not logically.  If the firewall were to block it, we would not (except by
logging) see any error.
The error we're seeing is the inability to send the packet, such as the Tx
or Rx buffer in the ethernet card is full and can't store another item in
the queue

> - your network card produce problems (REALLY i have that case)

a 1000Mbit card on a 10Mbit link can have problems.  A 100/10Mbit card on a
10Mbit doesn't have the same problems.  Had that problem in past jobs.

> - the network/LAN named tries to sent UDP packet is somehow flooded.

Given the OPs later response that he's reaching the 10Mbit capacity, this is
very likely, and would be the first thing I'd check out.

Given that you're unable to send the packets, I'd say the NICs Tx buffer is
full due to a network link at capacity, so the NIC driver is returning an
error when it tries to queue the packet in the buffers.