a binary package update

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jun 2 18:38:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:15:37 -0700 (PDT), Martin Badie <martinbadie at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have package-1.0  installed and want to update to package-2.0
> using package-2.0.tbz package file. This binary package is at
> /var/tmp/packages/All. I have no /usr/ports directory
>
> export PKG_PATH=/var/tmp/packages/All
> export PKG_FETCH=/usr/bin/false
>
> portupgrade -PP postgresql-server
>
> ** Port directory not found: databases/postgresql83-server
> ** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
>         - databases/postgresql83-server (port directory error)
>
> Do I need to have /usr/ports/ installed on that system?

If you want to use portupgrade - yes, I think so.

> I just want to upgrade to package-2.0.tbz without having
> anything related to Ports ( /usr/ports) on my systems? Just
> like a rpm -Uhv package-2.0.rpm on  Linux. Can someone
> enlighten me on how to do that with portupgrade?

As far as I understand, not possible. Portupgrade is not
the tool to do this.

> Or maybe with another tool on FreeBSD?

Yes, as I said, pkg_add is used for this. You can even use
it to overwrite the installed package (pkg_add -f).

In order to achieve what I thought you intend to do, use
the script I attached to you. It will download all the
packages required. Then, transfer them to the other machine,
and use pkg_add with the file name of the package you want
to install. It will usually overwrite everything with the
"wrong" version number that still does exist.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0