X configuration (was: Re: hello)

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Mon Jun 1 11:46:46 UTC 2009

Mike's Hotmail Account wrote:
> I am trying to install freebsd on my m-2625u  gateway laptop but am running into trouble. whe  I try to start x all I get is a black screen. I would try to configure the xorg file but I have no idea what my screen specs are. I know these questions are dumb but im kind of new to bsd.

Please read the relevant Handbook section, 5.4.2:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x-config.html

To start a desktop like Gnome or KDE you will have to install the
relevant packages and create an .xinitrc file. Please see section 5.7:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x11-wm.html

and also the  FreeBSD web pages. For example, for Gnome see here:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/