UK Currency Symbol in 7.2 Console

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Mon Jun 1 10:54:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:28:51AM +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
> > keymap="uk.cp850"
> Same here!
>
> > For reporting bugs: send-pr(1).
> > This isn't a bug though, as my UK keyboard works fine on 7.2-RC2
>
> Lets see thats 1 out 3 of us so far that this doesnt work for
> - so ... thats not a bug?
>
> > Your problem can probably be fixed by:
> > # vidcontrol -f 8x16 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/cp850-8x16.fnt
> > # kbdcontrol -l /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/uk.cp850.kbd
>
> Thanks for the reply Frank, but sadly the above makes no
> difference at all - I still get a beep, not a pound sign :(

>From within which program?  It is quite possible that is the program
you are using which refuses to accept characters outside standard ASCII.

You probably have to set the LC_CTYPE or LC_ALL environment variable to
something suitable to make programs accept such characters. (I know it makes
a difference for some shells at least.)

Using the correct *.fnt or *.kbd files just tell the system which key should
generate a character and what it should look like if displayed, not which
characters are to be considered printable or not.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se