how to boot or access problem file system

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Fri Jul 31 20:10:41 UTC 2009

Roland Smith wrote:
> [...]
>>> /dev/ad*'. If you have SCSI drives, use 'da' instead of 'ad'.
>>> What does that command list? On my machine, I'll get
>>> something like this:
>>>
>>> /dev/ad4         /dev/ad4s1d      /dev/ad6         /dev/ad6s1d
>>> /dev/ad4s1       /dev/ad4s1e      /dev/ad6s1       /dev/ad6s1e
>>> /dev/ad4s1a      /dev/ad4s1f      /dev/ad6s1a      /dev/ad6s1f
>>> /dev/ad4s1b      /dev/ad4s1g      /dev/ad6s1b      /dev/ad6s1g
>>> /dev/ad4s1c      /dev/ad4s1g.eli  /dev/ad6s1c      /dev/ad6s1g.eli
>>>
>>> If you only see e.g. /dev/ad4 and /dev/ad6, your slice table has been
>>> overwritten (with fdisk) and your data is lost. If you see /dev/ad4s1
>>> but not /dev/ad4s1a-g, the BSD partitions have been removed and your
>>> data is lost as well.
>>>
>>> Since there is only one slice on both ad4 and ad6 (otherwise you'd see
>>> /dev/ad4s2x) The next step is to examine the disk labels:
>>>
>>> bsdlabel /dev/ad4s1
>>> # /dev/ad4s1:
>>> 8 partitions:
>>> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>>>   a:  1024000       16    4.2BSD     2048 16384 64008
>>>   b: 16777216  1024016      swap
>>>   c: 976768002        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't edit
>>>   d:  4194304 17801232    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28528
>>>   e: 104857600 21995536    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28528
>>>   f: 41943040 126853136    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28528
>>>   g: 807971826 168796176    4.2BSD     2048 16384     0
>>>
>>> This tells us that the a, d, e, f and g partition are carrying a BSD
>>> filesystem, and should be checked with fsck_ffs.
>>>
>>> Try these steps and report back what you find.

>>> It is a mailing list for questions. Ipso facto you'll see questions and
>>> problems on this list. People who are not having problems will not be
>>> posting very much. :-)
>>>
>>> As to the handbook, this is by necessity written by people who are
>>> knowledgeable on the subject they write on. Unfortunately this sometimes
>>> lead to really basic steps/assumptions being skipped because they are
>>> self-evident for the writer. If you gain enough knowledge about a
>>> subject it becomes really hard to write for people new to the system
>>> because you've internalized a lot of stuff by then.
>>>
>>> If you have specific questions about parts of the handbook, ask.
>>>

>> I get the impression that my disks have all been overwritten; it's
>>

> Don't have impressions. Get the data. Boot from a livefs CD and start a
> shell as explained in in some of my previous messages. Then use the commands
> listed above to check your filesystems. *And report back wat you found*.
>

>> rather strange that in the instructions to upgrade it says to not change
>> anything on the Newfs... and that files would not be overwritten... is
>> that at fact?
>>

> What instructions are you referring to? Neither the handbook section
> [http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/updating-freebsdupdate.html]
> nor the manual page for freebsd-update mention newfs at all! Nor should they.

Well, it sounds like we should be ok, but the instructions I am speaking
of are those on the installation disks ... when one selects the update
to a newer version  and then as asked to set the slice names /; swap;
/tmp; and /var.
If I have made an error in this, then I can only put the full blame on
whoever created the installation system... there should be the most
obvious checks & balances about such an installation/upgrade as -
warnings about what the installation is going to do, and are you sure
this is what you want to do; and warnings that any existing files will
be overwritten... I have always cringed a bit when installing as there
were never any decent confirmations as to what was happening... even
Microsoft is pretty good with warning.
So, as I mentioned, I cannot access any disks as "Permission denied"
This seems to be a dead end.   :-(

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php