Sony DSC Digital Camera

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jul 30 11:20:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:14:56 +0200, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:38:30PM -0700, Christopher Chambers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am able to mount the camera (in 7.1-p6), but I am unable to read the
> > jpeg images. Varies programs claim that the file is not a valid jpeg.
>
> Can you display it properly on the camera itself? The image could be
> corrupted.

You could easily check it with

	% file /media/camera/*JPG

or even

	% identify /media/camera/*JPG

if you've installed the ImageMagick port.

> > I found a few pages on the internet discussing how to tell FreeBSD how
> > to mount the camera. Since I am already able to mount, these do not seem
> > relevant.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Most modern cameras do not even support mounting as a mass storage
> device, but use the picture transfer protocol. Try the graphics/gphoto2 port.

I have a Canon S3 IS which supports both modes. Check the camera
for its settings.

In fact, the gphoto2 port is an excellent means for dealing with PTP
based cameras. You can use it to download the images off the camera
and then check / view them.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany