How to doc available?

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 27 23:26:16 UTC 2009

2009/7/27 Mikel King <mikel.king at olivent.com>:
> Anyone know of a good tutorial for making a system on a USB key in limited
> space? I have a project that requires enough of running system with lighttpd
> and php5 to do some network magick. I would like to keep the thing below
> 512MB but if that is not feasible then I'll shoot for whatever the smallest
> I can get away with.
>
> Thanks, in advance.
>
> Cheers.

I'm going to try to answer your question rather than tell you you're
wrong. It's possible, and not difficult.

Option 1) I'm pretty sure a default install of FreeBSD covers a little
less than 640 MB; have you just tried that?

[chris at amnesiac]/usr% df -h /
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    421M    203M    185M    52%    /
[chris at amnesiac]/usr% du -hc /boot/xboxkern.0/
112M    /boot/xboxkern.0/
112M    total
[chris at amnesiac]/usr% du -hc bin include lib sbin share games libdata

<snip>

292M    share/doc

<snip>

428M    total
[chris at amnesiac]/usr%

So, excluding /usr/share/doc, and /boot/xboxkern.0 (a leftover from
when amnesiac was an xbox), my install with no ports etc is
~203-112=91MB for /, 428-292=136MB for /usr, plus /var and /tmp (both
minimal if properly managed and trimmed) makes <~250 MB; way less than
the 500 MB specified. You could probably even install Apache on that!

If I've missed anything glaringly obvious, please correct me someone....

Option 2) Try http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/nanobsd/index.html

Chris