7.2 amd64 Flash

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 00:22:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 6:03 PM, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Adam Vande More wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca
> > <mailto:af.gourmet at videotron.ca>> wrote:
> >
> >     Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY installed Adobe Flash for Firefox on FBSD 7.2
> >     running on amd64?
> >     I have managed to install about everything I need on an Acer
> >     TravelMate
> >     4400 except Flash.
> >     I have found that someone did install it in version 7.1 but the same
> >     procedures do not work on 7.2. linux_base-f8 ("linux_base-f8-8_11
> >     compat.linuxosrelease: 2.4.2 is not supported.")
> >     Installed is linux_base-fc-4_14 is currently installed.
> >     linux_base-f10-10 is asking to use version 2.6.16
> >     Surely some version of Flash should be functional on FBSD 7.2
> >     TIA
> >
> >     --
> >     Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
> >     -------------------------------------------------------------
> >     Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com <mailto:pj at ptahhotep.com>
> >

> > Sure it's no different than i386.  You need to set linux kernel
> > version to 2.6.16 in /etc/sysctl.conf then remove f4 and install f8 or
> > f10.
> >
> > --
> > Adam Vande More
> Thanks for the prompt answer Adam,
>
> I already had f8 installed as well as fc-4 & sctl.conf set to 2.6.16. I
> tried installing flash but here's what I get.
>
> "The current linux-f8-flashplugin10 spews out:
> ===> linux-flashplugin-10.0r22 bsd.linux-apps.mk test failed: The
> component nss is not defined for LINUX_DIST_SUFFIX= (the corresponding
> variable nss_FILE is not defined).
> *** Error code 1"
>
> linux_base-fc-4-14 was installed as a dependency by some other program.
> What happens if I remofe it?
>

> --
> Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
> Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
>    http://www.ptahhotep.com
>   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php

In my experience, upgrading linux base hasn't broken anything as long as
proper steps are taken.  Boris was correct in referencing
/usr/ports/UPDATING for instructions on upgrading it.  There are important
steps there.  Also the original post had an error that reflected the sysctl
not being set correctly.  Generally, sysctl.conf is only run at boot.  If
you're just getting starting in BSD, it is probably easier to just remember
to reboot after changing files like /etc/sysctl.conf and /boot/loader.conf.
It's more complicated than that and this introduces some unnecessary steps
but it's a lot easier to remember for someone new to this enviroment.

--
Adam Vande More