rm -rf and fat fingers

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 00:41:02 UTC 2009

2009/7/22 Jimmie James <jimmiejaz at gmail.com>:
> So here I was, half asleep, removing some old directories as root, and
> here's what I did...sitting in /home/jimmie after su
>
> jimmie at jimmiejaz <101> [0] /home/jimmie#rm -rf cd /usr/local/lib   (note the
> space, the PWD is home/jimmie/)
>
> Now, a lot of libs went missing from /usr/local/lib. With libchk, last
> locatedb I've been able to reinstall most of the libs.
> My ~/ *seems* unaffected, but I'm worried about that, I don't notice
> anything missing, but I could be wrong.
>
> What I'm thinking is the rm -rf found no 'cd' and moved to wipe out
> /usr/local/lib  Would this be a correct assumption?

Sounds like you're on the right medicine.

If you don't have a ton (that's 2000 in real world measures,
or 1000 in beheader speak) of packages, you can always
reinstall all of your packages to make sure you've caught
every little thing (including things that future packages/ports
may wish to link to).  Well, you still can with a lot, but that might
take a while.

And, yes, rm -rf is a naughty naughty boy.  Excepting the
sense in which he always does exactly as he is told.