NFS- SAN - FreeBSD

Christopher J. Umina chris.umina at studsvikscandpower.com
Tue Jul 21 21:58:20 UTC 2009

Grant,

I mean to say that often times external SCSI solutions (direct attached)
are cheaper and perform better (in terms of I/O) than iSCSI SANs.
Especially if you're using many disks.  SANs are generally chosen for
the ability to be split into LUNs for different servers.  Think of it as
a disk which you can partition and serve out to servers on a
per-partition basis, over Ethernet.  That's essentially what an iSCSI
SAN does.  While DAS systems allow the same sort of configuration, they
don't serve out over Ethernet, only SCSI/SAS.

Since you plan to use NFS to share the files to the other servers, I
think it may make more sense for you to use a SCSI solution if yo don't
need the versatility of a SAN.

Of course I know nothing of how you plan to expand this system, but from
what I understand, with Dell DAS hardware it is possible to connect up
to 4 different servers to the DAS and expand to up to 6 15 disk
enclosures.  The MD3000i (iSCSI) expands only to 3.

Another issue is that without compiling in special versions of the iSCSI
initiator, even in 8.0-BETA2 (which is not production-ready), iSCSI
performance and reliability are terrible.  There are other versions of
the code (which I currently use) for the iscsi_initiator kernel module,
but unless you're comfortable doing that, you may consider DAS in terms
of ease of implementation and maintenance as well.

Chris