FreeNAS file server...which hardware to choose?

Aleksandr Miroslav alexmiroslav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 22:12:21 UTC 2009

I would like to setup a home fileserver running FreeNAS (which itself runs
on FreeBSD 7.2). Can someone recommend hardware for this?

I know I'd have to get 3 harddrives. Two will be at home running RAID1, and
the third will be mirrored about once per quarter and brought offsite.

What kind of RAID chassis, computer system should I get for this setup?
Would a soekris be sufficient, or is that overkill?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.