scontrib

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jul 19 08:04:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:52:22 +1000, Brett Wiggins <s0x7c0 at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> I want to be able to read and compile the source. I have looked at
> ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/

For this purpose, I think you'll need the contrib/ subtree.

> but am unable to find an iso and am not sure how to make a iso or
> install cd from what is provided.

There's the command "make distribution" in /usr/src.

> I have installed the system minus
> scontrib and it boots ok.

Of course, it's only the sources (scontrib is part of the sources).
Those are not needed for running the operating system.

> Would I be able to get the full source from
> the ftp-archive, exctract it to my FreeBSD system and then re-build and
> install the system?

Yes, of course. First, download
ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/5.2-RELEASE/src/scontrib*
which is scontrib.aa ... scontrib.bb, along with install.sh. You can then
use the command

	# ./install.sh contrib

which will concatenate the archive parts scontrib.* and extract them
info /usr/src (or any other place you may specify).

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0