Clearing ttyv0 after boot

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jul 18 03:32:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:11:56 -0500, Joe Snikeris <joe at snikeris.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As the subject suggests, I'd like to clear ttyv0 immediately after
> booting so that it looks exactly like the other ttys.  I suspect I
> might have to add a local rc script, but I'm fairly new to FreeBSD and
> am not sure if this is the correct way to go.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers?

You could add the command

	/usr/bin/tput clear

as the last line (prior to "exit 0") to /etc/rc - but it's not encouraged
to modify this file because it can cause "trouble" on updating. But
it will work.

Note that you can still press the Scroll Lock key and see the messages
that have been scrolled off the terminal. If you want, you can use
an additional call to /usr/sbin/vidcontrol to clear the buffer. Refer
to the vidcontrol manpage for how to do that.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0