SSO solution in ports?

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Fri Jul 17 20:22:33 UTC 2009

Well, after a week of looking, I think I am going to go with a CAS
solution, rubycas-server and rubycas-client. This supports several
methods of authentication, including SQL, ActiveDirectory, LDAP, and
GoogleAccounts. SQL is probably good enough for my application at the
moment, but the LDAP option might come in handy someday. And it
integrates nicely with Rails apps, which is my target platform.

I looked at OpenID, which Rails also has good support for, but to my
mind, it's just too complicated for the average user to use. I
remember the first time I had to set one up, it was quite difficult
to understand what it was they were looking for. I think it would
scare away the average, non-technical, website user.

Thanks for the ideas!

Brgds: John

On Jul 16, 2009, at 1:03 PM, Mel Flynn wrote:

> On Thursday 16 July 2009 06:54:39 Bill Moran wrote:
>>> I am trying to build a set of web applications that are accessed
>>> through a web portal that uses a Single Sign On (SSO) solution.
>>> Problem is, there are MANY competing SSO solutions. Since building
>>> the client side of the SSO system is more than enough for me, I was
>>> wondering if there are any SSO servers in ports that I can just
>>> install and use? A CAS solution would be the best, but I'll look at
>>> anything.
>>
>> The most widely supported I know of is LDAP, and OpenLDAP works
>> pretty
>> well.
>
> That won't really work as LDAP can't read a browser cookie or
> maintain session
> information. LDAP is a good choice as storage backend.
>
> Your best bet is probably to use an OpenID based solution, as
> support for this
> sign on method is growing in web applications, so you lessen the
> chance of
> having to maintain your custom glue into the application. The
> security/phpmyid
> port is one implementation that allows you to run your own OpenID
> server.
>
> http://openid.net/
> --
> Mel

Websites and Marketing for On-line Collectible Dealers
IDENTRY, LLC
John Almberg - Managing Partner
(631) 546-5079
jalmberg at identry.com